Okay, maybe there will be a little rant here but seriously, grain intolerance can actually kill you if you suffer from it! If you ignore the symptoms and continue to eat processed foods that have grain flours as a base you are just asking for all the side effects that come with it!
Here are a list of side effects that I have personally experienced as a result of being grain intolerant and had no clue up until 2 years ago:
- Migraines- I would suffer from migraines twice a week (unless I had nothing to eat but meat and vegetables) but because I'm on a budget, processed food was the most economical for me at the time. The migraines would usually always hit a couple of days before it rained. Now you probably think "oh it's because of the change in the air pressure; I used to think that too, but I haven't had a migraine in 2 years since I gave up processed food.
- Rashes- I would be covered in a blotchy rash whenever I had a sandwich, not thinking it had anything to do with what I was eating at the time I switched to laundry soap for babies, additive free laundry soap, even went as far as washing my clothes in nothing but warm water! It didn't matter, I was still getting rashes that was until I went grain free, within the first year the rashes stopped. I also had what I thought was eczema, that too disappeared.
- Scalp sensitivity- some people think that you get a sensitive scalp because either your hair is long or you color it too much, I kept my hair super short and only colored it twice a year. I tried different shampoos as well from baby shampoo to pure glycerin soap, it didn't make a difference.
- Hair loss- this is tied in with the above symptom again, I kept my hair super short for this very reason because every time I took a shower I would lose a lot if hair. Lucky for me I was losing it evenly but my hairline was receding to a "widows peak" which I found disturbing as there is no baldness in my family! I am happy to say that since going grain free I have not lost any more hair and the "widows peak" is gone!
- Diarrhea- this condition is a sign not of undercooked food or spoilage, but a sign that you are not digesting your food! For me, it got to the point where nothing was working at all to stop it and I started accepting the fact that this was a part of aging that was until I got to the next scary symptom!
- Undigested Food- there is a problem if you eat a meal and it comes out exactly the way it went in! By that I mean it's coming out of your bottom exactly the way you chewed it up!
- Mucous- If your poop is covered by mucous, that means that your liver is working overtime to protect the lining of your stomach, if this fails you get what is known as "leaky gut" a condition where food particles actually enter your bloodstream!
- Depression- Think that depression has nothing to do with what you eat? Guess again! Depression is directly linked to poor nutrition, observe any person that eats a whole food diet, they are happy, optimistic, patient, very rarely get angry and even when they do get upset it passes super fast!
- Abdominal Pain- Not to be confused with a stomach ache, your lower abdomen is right above your pelvis and when it contracts or gets inflamed the pain can travel down your legs! I had this happen to me quite a few times, most recently in October 2017 when I came to the conclusion that I was no longer able to tolerate rice and ended up in the chronic pain ward of my local hospital!
- Back Pain and Inflammation- When you are missing key nutrients in your diet your whole body suffers! I had always experienced back pain and figured it was because I had an epidural with each of my two sons, that wasn't the case. About a year before I kicked wheat to the curb my back actually started spasming on a regular basis causing me great pain and anxiety, the doctors said it was because I had bursitis that was spreading from my hips to my back. That wasn't the case, since I have stopped eating grains I have not had one back ache! Now I'm not going to say that it went away immediately because it didn't. It took roughly 6 months into being wheat free before I noticed a difference, that along with low impact exercise like Belly Dancing made a huge difference!(* Please note, if you suffer from any of the above symptoms make an appointment with your doctor and get a referral to a GI specialist)
GLUTEN DUDE this guy will give it to you straight up! He will not sugar coat anything and he also works very hard to make his blog as informative as possible!
No Grain No Pain Dr Peter Osborne is another great guide to help you along the road to better health, he also has a youtube channel that he does live streams on an will answer any questions that you have!
I have other links on this blog, feel free to check them out!
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/grain-free-kfc/ I love my chicken even more now than before, I make sure that it's free range, hormone free and free of antibiotics, so this site is a great resource for recipe ideas!